Thursday, July 9

I've been noticing lately that Dylan, while still holding on to railings and/or sitting down to scoot on the taller steps, is having no trouble navigating the shallower steps with only his own sense of balance to help him. Earlier this morning, as I was leading him downstairs for a diaper change, I turned to watch what I expected to be a repeat performance of his newly-discovered ability to scoot down the steps (up until a few days ago, he would still get down on hands and feet and climb down backwards). Instead, to my amazement, he stopped at the edge of the step, looked down, and carefully lowered first one foot, then the other to the step below. Then, as if to prove to me it wasn't just a fluke stroke of luck, he proceeded to repeat the process on the next step, and then the third and fourth steps down into the bedroom.

Of course, I suddenly realized how many little things like this were happening every week, sometimes every day, and how many of them I have neglected to record already. What kinds of things am I going to wish I had written down to remember later on, when he's older and having kids of his own? So from now on, I intend to record such things here, no matter how trivial they may seem at the time.

No comments: