Sunday, April 22

More Tragedy

Cayla, my beautiful sweet black rat, passed away sometime last night. I went in to feed her and Briea before work today and found her still and cold by the cage door. I don't know what happened; she was fine when I saw her last, eating well, active, not putting out any warning signs that something like this was about to happen. I didn't want to take care of her alone, but Chris was already at work, so I had to. I put her in a cardboard box and buried her in the backyard with tears and a silent farewell. I will miss her terribly. She was the most adventurous little thing I'd ever seen. She figured out early on, and quite accidentally, that a 3-foot fall from the kitchen table to the floor wouldn't hurt her; from then on, she never wanted to stay put. She was smart, affectionate, playful and fearless...the dog was more scared of her than she was of him! I know Briea will miss her sister as well. I hope she can make it through this. I don't know if I can handle losing both of them at once. I will post a picture as soon as I get home to my own computer.

4 comments:

Defiantly Damned said...

Oh, Heather, I'm so sorry to hear about Cayla. It sounds as though she had a full, exciting, adventurous life, but one too short nonetheless.

You've had to endure so much sadness lately... you're in my thoughts and loved from afar.

Keep looking for the sunshine.

Anonymous said...

heather, I think of you often. I hope you know that you and the whole community of VT are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry about your beloved pet.
hugs from afar!

Unknown said...

How are the critters?

&

Heather said...

Thanks, you guys. Just knowing you're out there helps tremendously.

Fletch: everyone else is doing okay. Briea had an eye infection and I think she's going blind in that eye, but they say blindness is not a huge problem for rats since they have poor eyesight to begin with. Mojo is in the process of shedding, getting bigger every time, and one of my female mice has a mammary tumor (I just found it today), which probably means she's beyond her reproducing age. It doesn't seem to hinder her or hurt her at all, so I'm guessing it's benign and I'll just let her finish out her days with her family (no, I would NEVER feed her to the snake after all she's done for him already!). Pippin got into the creek by the house yesterday and came back all muddy...he hates the shower, but in he went anyway! We may end up keeping him past next month, but we don't know for sure yet. That would kick ass.

Miss you guys!

:)