Wednesday, February 13

It's a boy!

Hi all! Sorry I've been away for so long, but it was all worth it.....say hello to Dylan, the newest addition to the Taylor clan!


Dylan Thomas Taylor, born February 6, 2008 at 12:27 p.m.
8 pounds 7 oz. and 21 inches



Going home from the birthing center two days later



I'm so handsome!



Four days old and I'm already smiling!


He's a great baby, very alert and (mostly) calm, and he's already sleeping 3-4 hours at a stretch during the night. He was back up to his birth weight by day five. Breastfeeding has been challenging and we still don't have it down perfect, but we're working on it, and it's going well. Some labor and delivery highlights: I was in labor for a total of 15 1/2 hours, from my first contraction to Dylan being born. The only drug I had was a combo narcotic/antagonist called Nubain (it's like Demerol, but weaker and without the potential harmful side effects). I went into labor at 9 pm on my due date, so by the time I went into the birthing center, I had been up for about 24 hours and I was exhausted. I could still feel the contractions, but the Nubain let me rest during the active phase of labor. I went through transition and pushing completely drug-free. I only pushed for about 15 or 20 minutes because once I found a good position Dylan went from a +1 station (that's just past the center of my pelvic bone) to a little bit of head showing in one push. I watched the birth in a mirror, which really helped me concentrate on pushing him out, and my husband cut the cord afterwards. The only hitch came at the very end; Dylan's shoulders didn't rotate all the way and they got stuck coming out, so I ended up with three major tears (none of which, according to my doctor, were as bad as an episiotomy would have been). Oh well, no delivery will ever be perfect!

I'd love to tell you all about my experiences as a new Mom, but right now I'm just too tired :) I'll try and catch up again soon, but for now let me say I am loving (almost) every minute with my son!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful and fey, like his mom. :)

Mischevious like his dad. Look out planet Earth!

Love, always!

-Puck

&

Defiantly Damned said...

Oh my! He is soooooo handsome! I am thrilled for you!

Dylan was born the same day my father-in-law passed away... how wonderful that a new life began shortly after an old one ended.

I'm glad all went well and that you guys are doing good... I can't wait to hear more, but for now, get your rest and focus on what is most important. We'll all be waiting patiently.

Congrats, Heather!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am so excited that you updated us! I still check all the time hoping that you would let us know when your little one arrived.
He is gorgeous. Enjoy every moment. We can't wait to hear more! :)
hugs to your, your hubby and your handsome Dylan.
P.S. - Sleep is overrated :)

Jimmy said...

Beautiful boy. Darling boy.

Congratulations! Sounds like everything is going as well as can be expected. Glad to hear he's sleeping well, which means you get to sleep a little, too.

All the best. See you around.