Wednesday, July 5

And the hits just keep on comin'....

I slept until noon today. Considering I didn't go to bed until about 3am, I figure I deserved it. Besides, it's my birthday, dammit, I can do what I want! :)

Chris woke me up when he came home from work. I went down to check the mail, and there was a birthday card from my grandparents with $20 in it. We already had dinner plans, so I decided to go see a movie while Chris went back to work. I hadn't seen X-Men 3 yet, and I really wanted to see it on the big screen, so I did. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, although there were a lot of plot holes in it. The storylines that were clear were really moving, considering the rest of the series. I actually cried a little...

I had to go back on base after the movie because Chris forgot his backpack in the car, so while he was PTing at the gym, I went over to the BX to look around and kill some time. The optical shop is having a sale, buy one get one, on their frames, and I found a pair I really liked. Since Chris hadn't gotten me a birthday present yet, I was all set to ask for a pair of prescription sunglasses, but when I got back to the gym to pick him up and told him, "I know what I want for my birthday", he got this deer-in-the-headlights look and I knew he'd already gotten me something. That's okay, I thought, but it was kind of a bummer. He said he would tell me what he'd ordered for me so I could decide which I wanted more, but where's the fun in that? I wanted to be surprised, and I wanted to see what he was so excited about getting me.

My mom called right when we got home, and Chris wanted to go out and "do something before we go out, you can come but you have to keep your eyes closed!", so I opted to stay home and talk with my mom. I asked her if she'd gotten me a birthday present yet, and she said no, so I asked, "Can I have fifty bucks for some new glasses?" and explained what happened. She laughed, and told me she was sending me $25 already along with our souveniers from her and my brother's trip to Alaska, so if I could make up the difference I could put her money towards that. So, I'm going to the BX in the next few days to get some new glasses!

Chris came home, carrying a bouquet of sunflowers and purple asters! I love it when he brings me flowers (it happens so rarely, you know). We went out to McGuire's (local resteraunt/brewhouse) to see if they had finished their Belgian White yet. Not yet, but next week. So, we hung around for a bit, and then went to dinner. Sushi! I love sushi. This was the same resteraunt we went to for our anniversary in January, and took Ryan on his last day before flight school back in March. We know the owner and the head waitress (I guess you'd call her the maitre d' in any other resteraunt), we've been going there since we moved here last February, and it seemed appropriate. Besides, they make a Darcy Roll with shrimp tempura, cream cheese and eel that's to DIE for!

As we left the resteraunt, complaining good-naturedly to each other about how full we were, I mentioned how much I love the pickled ginger they give you with sushi, because it's so good for digestion. He says to me, "You know what else is good for digestion? Chocolate." "Nuh uh!" "Yeah, it is!" "Okay, then, lets go get some." And he points to the glove compartment. There, wrapped in an ice pack so it won't melt, is a bar of Ghirardelli 60% Dark Chocolate. Gods, how I love this stuff! Now I"m glad I didn't suggest going out for ice cream, which I was going to do but now feel way too stuffed to even consider.

I waited until we got home to open it (just one piece, it won't kill me!), and slipped inside the wrapper was a small, folded paper, on which my husband had written, "For your dreams...." I unfolded it, and there was a picture of and the specs on my soon-to-be birthday present. He had told me he'd gotten me something we'd talked about, but I never in a million years would have guessed. A Sony MZ-NH700 Minidisc recorder. You see, I have a hard time remembering my dreams well enough to write them down, and usually can only do it after I've told it out loud, usually to him. The dream I wrote about yesterday morning is a good example. Now I'll be able to record them that way, instead of the words disappearing into the ether. Not only that, but I can title them and group them into folders, and if I forget something and remember it later, I can add onto the end of a file without erasing what's already there. I'm so excited!! I have no idea when it will be here, it should be in the next week but Im sorry, UPS cannot always be trusted. Here's hoping, though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good man! Nicely done! treating you as you deserve. I'm pleased. :)

Will you use your new gift for dreams only or will you record in lieu of writing in your journal? The one that you use for transcendental research? Seems fit for that as well.

Again, Happy Birthday, WP!

&

Heather said...

I think I might do both...I'm not keeping much of a journal anymore, not since I started blogging anyway. I want to use it for music, but I need Windows for that, because Sony is a bunch of greedy good-for-nothing whoremongers who, coincidentally, make kick-ass electronics. I'm also going to test it out when I start classes again and see if it will pick up the lectures so I can double-check my notes. So many possibilities!

Word Verification: mbamgii

my African name, it means "easily excited by new electronics"