Thursday, July 13

Life update

15 days until the movers come. I have not started packing anything, or even going through things to decide what goes and what stays, although this little voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me I should, don't wait until the last minute, you don't want to be going through your stuff after it's already moved, just take what important and leave the rest. I'm living in this strange mix of permanent and temporary. I still have things packed away in boxes in various closets because we don't have the space to unpack everything we have, but it all seems so solid, we've been here for a year and a half now and it feels like forever. I can barely remember what this place looked like when we moved in last February. Oddly enough, as solid as it seems, it has never really felt like home. I haven't had a "home" since I left my parents six years ago. Oh, living with Fletch came close, I actually had a house and a roommate I was comfortable with, but I haven't had the opportunity to put down new roots since I pulled the last ones up, and I don't know when I'm going to have the chance again. I don't even know how long we'll be staying in VA this time. The thing is, though, I don't know whether or not I would be comfortable settling down in one place and not moving again. I suppose as long as I was able to travel, it would be okay, but living the same life day after day gets monotonous so quickly. That's why I wasn't ready to leave VA the first time, hanging out with the guys in Arlington there was always something different happening, and it never got old. I miss them. I hope I can find a way to settle in to the next chapter in my life as well as I have in the past, because the sooner this one is over, the better.

Chris is still hanging in there. He's stressing over the amount of work he still has to do, apparently there are two change of commands this week so instead of spending quality time in his office he and the rest of his squadron have been practicing for those, but he's managing. Things have been a little strained around the house. I've started likening it to childbirth; right towards the end everything gets harder, your patience wears thin and all you want is for it to be over and done with. At least, that's what I've read. I've never had children, so I don't know if that's true or not. But we both realize the situation we're in, which makes it easier to get through the strain and say, "This is only temporary, we can get through it, and things will be better soon." Not that they're "bad" now, but we're both snappish and preoccupied, and we don't see much of each other, since I'm working nights. We get a break in a few days, though! We're going to Atlanta for the weekend to see the GRAB show. That's Gordon, Russo, Anastasio, Benevento for all you non-Duo and non-Phish people. Check out www.trey.com, www.mike-gordon.com, www.phish.com or www.organanddrums.com to find out more (this means you, Jimmy!). These guys are incredible!

All the pets are doing fine. One of my fish died a few days ago, but I'm not that upset about it. As long as Wilson (my betta) is okay, that's all I'm worried about.



One of my mice is pregnant again. This will be her third litter. The other two females are still too young, I think, or maybe they haven't started showing yet. Doesn't really matter to me, the pinkies are all going in the freezer for my corn snake. Who, by the way, started eating on his own! I finally got him to eat a brained pinky three days ago (yes, that means I squished its head, deal with it), and Jennifer gave him a not-brained pinky yesterday, which he grabbed onto with relish (dill, not bread-n-butter :P). I will definitely be taking him with me when we move. He's starting to show some orange around his head, I think he's going to turn out to be a standard coloration, which is fine with me. I'll share some pictures as soon as I get them.

Not counting my days off, I have eleven days of work left. Work is...work. I think I'm going to miss about half a dozen people from my job, but most of them are Myspace friends, so I won't be completely cut off! I don't really have anything to say about my job.

Still waiting on my financial aid. *sigh*

Israel and Lebanon just went to war. I am now trying frantically to learn 2.000 years of Middle Eastern history so I will understand not only what's happening, but why. My husband did a wonderful job of giving me the layman's version, but I still wonder where I've been for the past 24 years...do my parents know about any of this? If so, why didn't they teach me? Based on everything I know up to this point, I'm very pissed off at Israel right now.

That's all for now.

6 comments:

Jimmy said...

Thanks for the heads-up on those sites. I'll visit soon.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "brained pinky?"

Heather said...

I remembered you saying something about not knowing any new music, how you were stuck in the past, so I figured some new really good musicians was a good starting place. (I assume you already knew my motives, but I'm severely lacking in the banter dept. tonight, it's late.)

And a brained pinky is when you take a frozen mouse pinky, thaw it out, and make a small cut in the skull (or just squeeze it, like I did) so a little of the brain is exposed and the snake can smell it better. Works 90% of the time, apparently, when you have a stubborn feeder. Although sadly, I got a call from a friend at work last night that the poor thing died, they're not sure why, but honestly it's probably for the best, I didn't really want a problem snake as my first one. I'll get one after I move instead.

:)

Unknown said...

Poor Jimmy. He now knows the horrors of snake feeding.

&

Defiantly Damned said...

Just curious... why not feed snakes live mice?

Defiantly Damned said...

Regarding the Middle East conflict... I'm still on the fence and unsure of who to be more pissed off at. I guess I'm just pissed and disappointed in the shitiness of humanity right now. Ah, heck... I'll save the rant for my own blog. :)

Heather said...

"Marty, you're not thinking fourth-dimentionally." ~Back to the Future

Two reasons.

First, as small as this snake is, it's much easier to keep frozen pinkies, since the damn things grow so fast! I'll be feeding it one pinky a week until it gets about double its size, then I'll up it to two a week, or maybe go a size bigger if I think its getting big enough around. Any more than that and you get an aggressive feeder who expects to be fed every few days, and possibly an unhealthy snake who's growing too fast and stressing its frame.

Second, while a live pinky can't do much damage, a live adult mouse can, and it's not uncommon for a snake to be attacked by its meal if the snake is not quick enough. Sometimes all it takes is one attack and the snake will refuse to eat live. The question of which is "better", live or thawed, is entirely up to the individual...some people will tell you one, some will tell you the other. I figure it's easier and more economical to feed thawed, especially since I'm breeding my own food and can keep it on hand instead of having to go to the pet store to buy it.

I've been reading a lot about herpetology lately in preparation for owning my first snake, so forgive me if I kinda went off on a rant there...I'm so fascinated by it!

:)