Monday, July 10

Why don't we have free college like the rest of the world?

I filled out my Master Promissory Note for a Federal Stafford Loan today. I'm mailing it first thing tomorrow. This should be good news, but let me tell you why it's not.

First of all, this is the first time I've had to do any of the financial paperwork myself. When I went to college back in '00, my parents took care of it. So, every time I think I have everything taken care of, and I call the Financial Aid office to check the status of my aid, they tell me, "Oh, wait, you need to fill out this form, and print out this form, and we need this additional paperwork from you, etc, etc...". It's very frusturating. Second, since going to college this fall instead of next spring was kind of a last-minute decision, I already know that my loans are not going to come through until after the deadline for tuition payment (Aug 4). I'm only responsible for around $1000, it's only community college and they finally granted my application for in-state tuition (yay!), but I'm probably going to have to pay that out-of-pocket and get reimbursed my the loans. They should have my FAFSA processed within the next two weeks, so I'll know how much of it the school is covering, but my tuition is due three days after I move, for crying out loud! We're also getting reimbursed some moving expenses by the military, but we won't get that money or Chris's last paycheck until sometime in the later half of August, since we're taking terminal leave and moving two weeks before his official seperation date. So, we're going to have to pay for our move (gas, food, etc.) out-of-pocket as well.

On the flip side, though, we have only 17 days until the movers come and pack up all our stuff. Can we say, AAARRGGHHHHHHHHH! (that was a happy one, not a frusturated one...)



I love you guys. You keep me sane.

5 comments:

Jimmy said...

Wading through the financial aid labyrinth is enough to make Jesus drink. Dealing with people at the school financial aid office is enough to make you violent.

Your school should be able to grant you an extension on your tuition due date until your loan money comes through. My school did, anyway.

Defiantly Damned said...

FAFSA's, MPN's, and debt... oh my!

The whole process is a pain, but it does get easier with practice, especially if you do it online. It's incredibly difficult to time everything perfectly so you get your loan before the tuition is due. Will your school work with you since they know you'll be getting a loan?

And... hooray! Here's to 17 more days! ;)

Heather said...

Unfortunately, community colleges don't seem to have caught up with the digital age, maybe because their students are usually local and therefore they don't have the need to do everything online. My husband was able to file his NPR online, and he does not have to go through a bank since VT does their own loans, but alas, I'm going to have my credit checked. It's better than it was, but it's not great...

I'm not holding my breath for an extension, either. Aug 4 is the "early registration" deadline, which means if I don't have my registered classes paid for by then, they will be dropped and I will have to pay before I can register. You've all seen what my class schedule ooks like (at least you have if you read my post when I got accepted), and I DON'T WANT TO LOSE THAT SCHEDULE! It's too good! :)

It'll work out, though. It always does.

:)

Unknown said...

Everyone, Fletcher needs to win tonight's lottery. I'm a generous sort.

Wow, the timing works out for me. A special present.

&

Anonymous said...

Count down time, good luck with the move heather :)