Sunday, July 16

Party at the Masquerade

So this weekend was the combined birthday party for me and my hubby, since it fell right in between. And what did we do, you ask? We went and saw these two guys
with this guy
and this guy
play at the Masquerade Music Park in Atlanta. I tell you, I don't even know if I can put this show into words. It was hands down the best live show I've seen yet (not that I'm a seasoned veteran of live shows or anything, but still). I have yet to see the Duo and not be right up front on the rail, and this was no exception. I was standing next to this guy named Leon, he was from London and an English professor up in NC. He'd already seen a few shows of this tour, and he's been a Phish fan since '91. Very cool guy. I always like ending up next to interesting, friendly people at shows, it makes it easier for me to relax and just have a great time. The Duo played a short but solid first set, and when all four of them came out for second set, they rocked it from the start. The first four or so songs were killer! There was a lot of long jamming after that, Chris wasn't feeling well and some guy right down from us passed out and had to be lifted over the rail so they could get him out (he was okay, though), so I was kinda distracted for a while, but when Mike pulled out his electric banjo and Trey went acoustic, I was all ears. They sat and played a few simple songs, then busted out with "Mexican Cousin", the first Phish cover of this tour. The whole crowd was singing along, it was incredible! Joe and Marco came out after that and got halfway through Paranoid Android, which I've always wanted to hear them cover live, and when Trey came back out he looked like he was going to groove on it with them, but instead he broke in with a new riff....I was kida pissed, I wanted to hear the end of Android, but when they started playing Who Are You, the whole crowd went NUTS! I can't describe it. I have never rocked out that hard. I gave myself whiplash :) not bad, but I'll remember this show for a few days! We were standing right in front of Marco (Benevento, the keyboard player)...I LOVE watching him play, he's so happy and smiling all the time, he loves what he does and he loves seeing all of us digging on what he does, it's only been two days and I can't WAIT to see these guys again, even if I don't know when that wll be. But there will be a next time. Oh yes, there will be.

We had breakfast at Waffle House this morning. Two breakfasts: eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, orange juice and coffee. Waffle House food, what my husband has affectionally termed "crap on a plate". $15, including tip. Last night, after the show, we went to Gordon Biersch and had fresh brewed iced tea (for me), a half-litre handcrafted Hefeweizen (for him), and split a fresh from-scratch veggie pizza with tomatoes, artichokes, spinach, mushrooms and sun-dried tomato pesto, enough to fill up both of us. $21, including tip. The moral? If you ever get near a Gordon Biersch, go have dinner. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My musical tastes are ecclectic. I know what I like. Heather knows music. She knows what is good.

I like to hang around her and remain silent so that I seem smart and cool by association.

OK, I hang around her because I love her and she is way cool. Don't tell, it's a secret.

&